Friday, July 2, 2010

One Nation Under God

I LOVE . . .

Juicy watermelons, swim parties, smell of burgers on the grill, homemade ice cream, flags waving in the breeze, Wagon Train, fresh corn on the cob, parades, barbeques, Daddy’s American Flag proudly displayed in its case on the mantle while his Marine Corps Band music plays all day, our new flag waving from the front porch column while smaller flags line the circle in front of the house, the end of Cousins' Camp, GOOD FOOD, GOOD CONVERSATION, GOOD FRIENDS,
and, of course . . .
F I R E W O R K S

Just think . . . all across America . . . at approximately the same time . . . in every town no matter the size. . . the sky lights up . . . people sing along with The Star Spangled Banner . . . and the earth vibrates from the NOISE. That NOISE . . . TEARS trickle down my cheeks while CHILLS run over my body as I think . . . is that what it sounded like to my Daddy as he lay in his foxhole in Guam? Is that what it sounds like to all our soldiers fighting today for you and me? As you watch in excitement this weekend, think about the noise and say a prayer of thanksgiving to God for His blessings . . . and to the soldiers who have fought to give us the freedom we’re celebrating.

Have a happy and safe weekend as you celebrate, my dear family.
Granddaddy and I will miss you!!
Before I go put on my red, white and blue, I’ll leave you with a quote:
“The Founding Fathers believed that faith in God was the key to our being a good people and America’s becoming a great nation. I also believe this blessed land was set apart in a very special way, a country created by men and women who came here not in search of gold, but in search of God. They would be free people, living under the law with faith in their Maker and their future. Sometimes, it seems we've strayed from that noble beginning, from our conviction that standards of right and wrong do exist and must be lived up to.”
~~ former President Ronald Reagan
and a little history lesson . . .
Did you know that fireworks were first used in Independence Day celebrations in 1777?
Now, go have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment