Monday, October 11, 2010

Awwwww, Fall Mornings and Another Holiday

Fall mornings are just wonderful here in Dixie! It's finally cool enough for this . . .
breakfast on the deck. Granddaddy is on the golf course since it's a holiday so I'm just taking time to smell the roses in the last bouquet of the year. Cybil's Queen Elizabeth rose is always the last one to bloom ~ but it's still early so maybe there will be a few more blooms on all of your roses yet. Do you smell the mulled cider candle? And, yes, I'm still celebrating that little victory on Saturday between the hedges. Thanks "A" girls for cheering them to such a big win!! But I'm tryin' 'real' hard to be nice because . . . as I was told . . . one of the monkeys who traveled to watch the Lady Vols golf team in a tournament yesterday is just 'head over heels' excited about that group of orange-clad golfers . . . well, I did wear orange for 5 years! Moving on quickly . . .
I need my Fabulous Five here this morning for a tea party to honor . . .

Christopher Columbus

Yes, girls, it's another holiday!!! And I know I promised no more history lessons . . . but some of you are not in school today so just a short one! Let's see if the one who is in school learns this today . . .

Columbus Day originated as a celebration of Italian-American heritage and was first held in San Francisco in 1869. The first state-wide celebration was held in Colorado in 1907. In 1937, Columbus Day become a holiday across the United States. Since 1971, it has been celebrated on the second Monday in October.

But why? To celebrate the anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the Americas, specifically the Bahamas, which occurred on October 12, 1492.

See, Mimi told you it would be short because I have to get busy ~ Beulla & Betsy are calling me!

Happy Columbus Day!

XOXOXOXOXO ~ Mimi

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the history lesson Mimi! I love your breakfast on the deck- Looks like it was a beautiful day for it--
    Thanks also for the kind comment on my last post!

    ReplyDelete